Physician Wellness Resources
PHYSICIAN WELLNESS RESOURCES
Taking care of your own wellbeing in these trying times is something that can’t be overlooked. Physician Wellness is always a concern but it’s particularly important during the COVID-19 pandemic crisis. Keep yourself safe physically and mentally and review these Physician Wellness resources to help you do so.
- Care 4 Caregivers Now The emotional stress of responding to patients during the COVID-19 pandemic puts the personal and emotional health of front line health care workers at exceptional risk. To provide relief and help alleviate burnout, the California Medical Association (CMA) Wellness Program (CMA Wellness) has launched the Care 4 Caregivers Now program, connecting front line caregivers with a trained peer coach offering remote and confidential sessions at no cost. Opportunities available for both coaching as well as to volunteer. Eligible caregivers include, physicians, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners and respiratory therapists.
- Founded by local physician Ni-Cheng Liang, Mindful Healthcare Collective is a group of physicians who are wellness experts dedicated to providing free, evidence-based sessions to reduce stress for all healthcare professionals, particularly during this global pandemic. Our primary mission is to help heal the healers so we can continue to heal others. Stress levels are also high for the general public, and so we also offer yoga, coaching for parents, and practices for children.
- The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has put together a collection of resources, advice and social sharing programs specifically related to COVID-10.
- AMA Physician Health Resources
- Project Parachute is a pro bono teletherapy resource for COVID-19 frontliners. You can read about it on MedPage Today.
- Free online mindfulness and compassion sessions are provided by the Sanford Institute, Center for Mindfulness, and Compassion Institute at UC San Diego.
- Free full version of Headspace app for clinical practitioners who have a National Provider Identifier (NPI) number. The Headspace app is an outstanding mindfulness app that offers a collection of a wide range of guided mindfulness recordings that can support sleep, anxiety reduction, support balance, happiness, reduce anger, etc. It’s easy to register for with your National Provider Identifier (NPI) number and an email address. The full app for clinicians is at: https://www.headspace.com/health-covid-19
- Helpful article on reducing clinician fear and stress: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/926979 The article is written by Peter Yellowlees – Chief Wellness Officer at UC Davis.
- Decompress Podcast for Physicians by Dr. Tony Back.
- The Schwartz Center for Compassionate Healthcare presents Leading with Compassion: Supporting Healthcare Workers in a Crisis, a webinar. Drs. Patricia Watson and Richard Westphal discuss specific strategies healthcare leaders and managers can use to address the five essential human needs that support recovery from adversity and stress. They also explain how to use the Stress First Aid framework for conducting a stress and coping assessment. Following their presentation, Schwartz Center Chief Medical Officer Dr. Beth Lown moderate a brief Q&A.