Charge: An ad hoc committee established in 2018, SDCMS’ Wellness Committee oversees coordination with CMA on physician wellness (cmadocs.org/wellness), and helps develop local resources for physician and medical professionals.
Chair: David E.J. Bazzo, MD, FAAFP, CAQSM
Staff: Jennipher Ohmstede
Meets: Quarterly (February, May, August, November)
Physician Wellness Resources
Taking care of your own wellbeing in these trying times is something that can’t be overlooked. Physician Wellness is always a concern but it’s particularly important during the COVID–19 pandemic crisis. Keep yourself safe physically and mentally and review these Physician Wellness resources to help you do so.
- US Physician Support Line: physiciansupportline.com or call (888) 409–0141
- Alcoholics Anonymous San Diego: aasandiego.org or call (619) 265–8762
- Narcotics Anonymous San Diego: sandiegona.org or call (619) 584–1007
- Cocaine Abuse 24 hour Helpline and Treatment: (800) 222–0469
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: suicidepreventionlifeline.org or call (800) 273–8255
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has a collection of resources, advice and social sharing programs specific to COVID–19.
- AMA Physician Health Resources: ama-assn.org/practice-management/physician-health
- Mental Health Resource: Physician Resources to Recognize Mental Disorders – Up2SD
- UCSD Physician Assessment and Clinical Education (PACE) Program: paceprogram.ucsd.edu
- Ilan–Leal Foundation’s ‘Healing the Healers’ Retreats: ilanlaelfoundation.org/healing-the-healers
- Founded by local physician Ni–Cheng Liang, Mindful Healthcare Collective is a group of physicians who are wellness experts dedicated to providing free, evidence-based sessions to reduce stress for all healthcare professionals, particularly during this global pandemic. Our primary mission is to help heal the healers so we can continue to heal others. Stress levels are also high for the general public, and so we also offer yoga, coaching for parents, and practices for children.
- Mindful Physician Course offered by Dr. Ni–Cheng Liang: awakenbreath.org/mindful-physician-course
- Wellness article by Dr. Ni–Cheng Liang: kevinmd.com/blog/2021/07/reflections-from-a-former-intern
- Empowering Women Physicians Coaching Program: empoweringwomenphysicians.com
- Helpful article on reducing clinician fear and stress: medscape.com/viewarticle/926979 The article is written by Peter Yellowlees – Chief Wellness Officer at UC Davis.
- Decompress Podcast for Physicians by Dr. Tony Back.
- The Schwartz Center for Compassionate Healthcare presents Leading with Compassion: Supporting Healthcare Workers in a Crisis, a webinar. Drs. Patricia Watson and Richard Westphal discuss specific strategies healthcare leaders and managers can use to address the five essential human needs that support recovery from adversity and stress. They also explain how to use the Stress First Aid framework for conducting a stress and coping assessment. Following their presentation, Schwartz Center Chief Medical Officer Dr. Beth Lown moderate a brief Q&A.
- SurgeonMasters Resources: surgeonmasters.com
- Blog – A wide variety of ideas, perspectives, and discussions on creating highly successful, lifestyle-friendly, and especially sustainable surgical careers.
- Mini–Podcast – Life improvement strategies for the surgeon who wants more … in 10 Minutes! Listen once or over and over to build momentum on these tips, because improvement requires action and deliberate practice. Available on ITunes, Stitcher, TuneIn Radio.
- Physician Coach Training – Become a certified physician coach in a 60 hour comprehensive coaching program and help support your physician peers. Earn 24 CME and 60 International Coaching Federation coach credit hours.
- Surgeon Coaching – Surgeon coaching is a collaborative relationship that supports a surgeon’s practice optimization and a healthy work-life rhythm.