SDCMS "News You Can Use" (2012.10.05)
SDCMS “News You Can Use”
— October 5, 2012
Executive Director Comment: Click here to read how San Diego volunteer physicians change lives through the SDCMS Foundation’s Project Access San Diego.
Is Your Office Manager / Practice Administrator (OM/PA) Using SDCMS’ OM/PA Online Forum to Get Help and Build a Support Community? Click Here to Join
Novel Coronavirus Identified in Europe
The World Health Organization (WHO) has notified health workers worldwide to report any patient with an acute respiratory infection who has recently travelled to Saudi Arabia or Qatar due to concerns about a novel coronavirus infection recently identified in two patients from these countries. The patients were diagnosed in Europe with acute respiratory infections with renal failure. Reports can be made to the San Diego County Public Health Department at (619) 692-8499 where developments on this novel virus are being closely monitored.
SDCMS Physicians: Tell Us How You Like SDCMS’ Three Annual Directories! Click Here to Take a Three-question (Multiple Choice) Survey
How Much Should My Office Staff Make?
SDCMS member physicians may obtain the results of SDCMS’ Medical Office Salary Survey by emailing Marisol at MGonzalez@SDCMS.org.
Executive Director Comment: There they go again. Just when you have Palmetto figured out, the Medicare administration contract changes hands AGAIN (see directly below).
CMS on Sept. 20 Announced That Noridian Administrative Services (NAS) Has Been Named the New MAC for Medicare Parts A and B in California
If there is an appeal, the earliest the handover could take place would be mid-to-late 2013.
- Recalled Steroid in Outbreak Went to 23 States, Including California
- Change in Immunization Services at Public Health Centers
- Analysis of Blue Shield of California Independent Physician and Provider Agreement
- CMA Publishes Guide for Physicians Terminated by Aetna for Out-of-network Referrals
- FAQ: When do I have to report a patient’s impaired condition to the DMV?
- Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
- What Doctors Need to Know About the Community-based Adult Services Transition
- Medicare / Medi-Cal Dual Eligibles Resource Center
- Three Bills Signed by the Governor: Your Dues Dollars at Work!
- Physicians Receiving Results of Blue Cross Coding Study
- Is Growing Consolidation Among Hospitals and Doctor Groups Pushing Up the Price of Medical Care?
- Coalition Files Amicus Briefs to Support Medical Staff Independence and Self-governance
- CMA Regulations Quick List September 2012
- Resident and Fellows Participation Opportunities
- IOM: Physicians Play Key Role in Stopping Health System Waste
- $11 Billion in Looming Medicare Cuts Detailed by OMB
- Honor a Mentor in the December Issue of San Diego Physician Magazine!
- Nominate Your Office Manager for SDCMS’ 4th Annual “Outstanding Medical Office Manager” Contest!
- Wait-list for Our Nov. 10–11 (Physician) Leader’s Toolbox Workshop
- SDCMS-CMA SEMINARS / WEBINARS /EVENTS
- SAN DIEGO COUNTY HEALTHCARE EVENTS
Recalled Steroid in Outbreak Went to 23 States, Including California
The steroid medication suspected in an outbreak of a rare kind of meningitis was shipped to 23 states, according to the CDC. The specialty pharmacy that made the steroid, New England Compounding Center of Framingham, Mass., recalled three lots of the drug last week and has shut down operations. Click Here and Click Here for Further Details
Change in Immunization Services at Public Health Centers
The CDC has issued new guidance to states for vaccines provided to public health centers. Click here to read a document from Peter Shih, administrator for Health Care Policy Administration, HHSA, which provides an overview of the proposed policy change.
SDCMS MEMBER BENEFITS …
Analysis of Blue Shield of California Independent Physician and Provider Agreement (Fee for Service) • Click Here
CMA Publishes Guide for Physicians Terminated by Aetna for Out-of-network Referrals • Click Here
FAQ: When do I have to report a patient’s impaired condition to the DMV? Click Here
Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
Primary care practices of 10 or fewer practitioners can receive assistance in EHR implementation (internal medicine, family, adolescent, pediatrics, OB/GYN, or general practice all qualify through ARRA funding). Contact Rob Yeates at Rob.Yeates@SDCMS.org or at (858) 300-2791.
What Doctors Need to Know About the Community-based Adult Services (CBAS) Transition • Click Here
Medicare / Medi-Cal Dual Eligibles Resource Center • Click Here
Executive Director Comment: Each of the following three bills signed by the governor is an example of your dues dollars at work to do good for patients and doctors through legislative advocacy:
- Governor Signs Bill to Create Medical School Scholarships • Click Here
- Governor Signs CMA-sponsored Bill to Require Doctor’s Note for Personal Belief Vaccine Exemption • Click Here
- Governor Signs CMA-supported Bill to Ensure Information on Organ and Tissue Donation Is Taught in School Health and Science Classes Statewide • Click Here
Physicians Receiving Results of Blue Cross Coding Study
Blue Cross recently conducted two studies of physician coding, one on new and established E/M visits, levels 4 and 5 (99204-99205 and 99214-99215), and the other on usage of modifier -25. The analyses involve claims paid by Blue Cross between May 1, 2011, and April 30, 2012. Click Here for Details
Is Growing Consolidation Among Hospitals and Doctor Groups Pushing Up the Price of Medical Care? Click Here
Coalition Files California Supreme Court Amicus Briefs to Support Medical Staff Independence and Self-governance • Click Here
CMA Regulations Quick List September 2012 • Click Here to Download PDF
The latest issue of CMA’s Regulations Quick List, which provides a summary and current status of significant regulations followed by CMA, is now available. Following are changes occurring within the last month (red in the linked PDF):
- PHYSICIAN AVAILABILITY: ELECTIVE COSMETIC PROCEDURES (MBC): As required by SB 100, chaptered in 2011, the proposed regulation would clarify how available a physician must be when a mid-level practitioner is performing an elective cosmetic procedure using a laser or intense pulse light device. The proposed regulation defines “immediately available” as being available electronically or telephonically to provide assistance, and specifies that the process for obtaining assistance should be contained in standardized procedures and protocols. CMA provided input into the development of the proposed regulation at the MBC meeting that was held on July 19, 2012, and supports its adoption. Comment Period: 08/27/12 – 10/15/12
- MEDICARE ICD-10 CODING SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION REGULATIONS: Final Rule Published: 09/05/12
- MEDICARE AND MEDICAID EHR INCENTIVE PROGRAMS — STAGE 2 (CMS): CMS published the final Stage 2 rule on September 4. It lays out that, starting with Stage 2, physicians will have to report on 17 core objectives and three (of six) menu set items. Physicians will also report on nine clinical quality measures selected from a list of 64. CMA staff continues to analyze the final rule and will be publishing a complete summary in the near future. Final Rule Published: 09/04/12
- MEDICARE PROGRAM; REVISIONS TO PAYMENT POLICIES UNDER THE PHYSICIAN FEE SCHEDULE (CMS): CMA submitted comments relating to the changes in the Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS), the Value-Based Payment Modifier, the Physician Compare Program, the Physician Feedback program, electronic prescribing, the new care coordination fees, and strong opposition to the proposal to reimburse Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) for chronic pain management.
- NATIONAL AMBIENT AIR QUALITY STANDARDS FOR PARTICULATE MATTER (EPA): The U.S. EPA issued a proposed rule to update the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for fine particulate matter (PM2.5) and coarse particle pollution (PM10). EPA proposed to retain the existing 24-hour standard and strengthen the annual standard for PM2.5. EPA’s Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee unanimously concluded that the current standards do not adequately protect human health. However, the proposed regulation does not reflect the more protective levels suggested by its own advisors. CMA joined other health professionals in urging EPA to adopt the stronger standards.
- MEDICARE AND MEDICAID PROGRAMS; REFORM OF HOSPITAL AND CRITICAL ACCESS HOSPITAL CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION (CMS): CMS responded on July 21 indicating that they will seek further comment before enforcing the requirement.
Resident and Fellows Participation Opportunities
If you are a CMA resident or fellow who would be interested in participating at this year’s House of Delegates meeting as a district delegate or alternate please, please email Gehring@SDCMS.org as soon as possible. The RFS schedule is as follows:
- Friday, Oct. 12, 7pm: Future of Medicine Reception (Optional)
- Saturday, Oct. 13, 6am–8am, 12pm–2pm: RFS Meeting
- Sunday, Oct. 14, 8am–12pm: RFS Meeting
- Monday, Oct. 15, 7am8am: RFS Meeting
IOM: Physicians Play Key Role in Stopping Health System Waste • Click Here
The institute, which concludes that 30 cents of every healthcare dollar is wasted, seeks payment incentives and health IT adoption to improve patient outcomes.
$11 Billion in Looming Medicare Cuts Detailed by OMB • Click Here • “OMB Report Pursuant to the Sequestration Transparency Act of 2012”
Honor a Mentor in the December Issue of San Diego Physician Magazine!
SDCMS will be paying homage to those individuals who, either recently or in decades past, have inspired San Diego County’s physicians in ways professional or personal to strive to achieve something beyond themselves. SDCMS members who would like to share their stories about their mentors are encouraged to submit those stories to Editor@SDCMS.org (anywhere from a paragraph to several hundred words) by November 1, 2012.
Nominate Your Office Manager for SDCMS’ 4th Annual “Outstanding Medical Office Manager” Contest Today!
SDCMS member physicians can nominate their office manager by explaining in writing (up to 600 words) why their office manager is the best in San Diego County. Send nominations (and questions) to Kyle Lewis at SDCMS at KLewis@SDCMS.org. Nominations deadline is October 31, 2012. The winner will be published in the December San Diego Physician.
Our Nov. 10–11 (Physician) Leader’s Toolbox Workshop Is Full as of Today!
If you would like to be wait-listed, let me know at Gehring@SDCMS.org. Our “Leader’s Toolbox” workshop, which will be held on Saturday, November 10 and Sunday, November 11 (half day!), is an exceptional opportunity for SDCMS members to build leadership skills and networks. Click Here for Details
SDCMS-CMA SEMINARS / WEBINARS /EVENTS …
For further information or to register for any of the following SDCMS seminars, webinars, or events, visit http://SDCMS.org/event or call SDCMS at (858) 565-8888.
- OCT 10: Impact of ICD-10 • 7:30am–9:00am or 12:15pm–1:45pm (CMA webinar) • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- OCT 17: Establishing Expectations for High Performance From Medical Staff (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- OCT 18: Essentials for ICD-10-CM: Part 1 (CMA webinar) • 7:45am–8:45am or 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- OCT 24: Dealing With Medical Student Debt (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- OCT 25: Essentials for ICD-10-CM: Part 2 (CMA webinar) • 7:45am–8:45am or 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- OCT 26: Medicare E/M Services: Understanding the Principles and Guidelines • (SDCMS seminar) • 12:00pm–3:30pm • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- NOV 1: Identity Theft (SDCMS seminar/webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- NOV 1: Essentials for ICD-10-CM: Part 3 (CMA webinar) • 7:45am–8:45am or 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- NOV 7: Understanding ARC and CARC Revenue Codes (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- NOV 8: Tax Time (SDCMS seminar/webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- NOV 10–11: The (Physician) Leader’s Toolbox (SDCMS workshop) • 8:00am–4:00pm on Nov. 10, and 8:00am–12:00pm on Nov. 11 • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- NOV 14: State Disability Insurance Online for Your Patients and You (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- NOV 15: Top 10 Patient Safety Issues for Office Practice (SDCMS seminar/webinar) • 11:30am–12:30pm • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- NOV 29: Essentials for ICD-10-CM: Part 1 (CMA webinar) • 7:45am–8:45am or 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- DEC 5: Impact of ICD-10 (CMA webinar) • 7:30am–9:00am or 12:15pm–1:45pm (CMA webinar) • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- DEC 6: Essentials for ICD-10-CM: Part 2 (CMA webinar) • 7:45am–8:45am or 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
- DEC 13: Essentials for ICD-10-CM: Part 3 (CMA webinar) • 7:45am–8:45am or 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/
SAN DIEGO COUNTY HEALTHCARE EVENTS …
To submit a community healthcare event for possible publication, email KLewis@SDCMS.org. Events should be physician-focused and should take place in or near San Diego County.
- OCT 10: Hyperglycemia Management Using Insulin Therapy Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Del Mar • 6:00pm • http://scripps.org/conferenceservices
- OCT 13: 5K Run/Walk for Colon Cancer Awareness • NTC Liberty Station • Registration Opens at 7:45am, Run at 9:00am, Walk at 9:05am • http://www.getyourrearingear.com
- OCT 14: CMA / CMA Foundation Gala Save the Date • California Museum, Sacramento • Contact Enid Gallegos [(916) 444-5532, email@example.com] for sponsorship and advertising, Shelley Tirsbeck [(916) 779-6623, firstname.lastname@example.org] for individual or group ticket sales
- OCT 20: 2012 San Diego JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes • 7–11pm • Encinitas Elks Lodge, 1393 Windsor Dr., Cardiff-by-the-Sea (21 and over only — full bar, raffle prizes, pizza by the slice, featuring North County rock n roll band Karlz Bad Habitz) • Door Cover Donation: $10 With Proceeds Donated to 2012 SD JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes
- OCT 26–28: Ideal Medical Practices (IMP) Camp in San Diego • Best Western Island Palms Hotel • When resident physicians click on the registration page, they’ll find that their fee is $175 instead of $400 for practicing physicians. The $175 is basically to cover meals and a few other built-in expenses. • http://www.impcenter.org.
- OCT 27: “Shaking Out the Subtleties of Parkinson’s: A Symposium for Primary Care Physicians and Pharmacists” • http://parkinsonsassociation.org/shaking-out-the-subtleties-of-parkinsons/
- OCT 27–28: Sharp Grossmont Hospital Heart and Vascular Conference 2012 • Rancho Bernardo Inn • $150 Before Sept. 30 • https://www.82sharp.sharp.com/Sections.asp?dblink=1&ServLink=77&ClassLin...
- OCT 28 – NOV 1: 13th Annual Science and Clinical Application of Integrative Holistic Medicine • Hilton San Diego Resort • http://www.scripps.org/events/science-and-clinical-application-of-integr...
- NOV 10: San Diego 2012 Walk to Cure Diabetes — Give Diabetes the Boot! • Balboa Park, 6th Ave. and Laurel St. • http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?fr_id=1865&pg=entry • Registration Start Time: 6:30am, Walk Start Time: 8:00am, Length of Walk: 3K and 5K
- NOV 29: Epilepsy Foundation’s Gingerbread City Gala 2012 • 6–9pm • The Grand Del Mar, 5300 Grand Del Mar Ct., San Diego • Gingerbread City Gala is a spectacular holiday gala for charity featuring celebrity chefs, complimentary champagnes and wines, holiday music, exciting auctions, and the largest nationally recognized gingerbread structure competition on the West Coast • http://www.gingerbreadcitysd.org or (619) 296-0161
- FEB 28: Aces for Health Golf Tournament • Del Mar Country Club • Benefitting the SDCMS Foundation’s Project Access • (858) 565-7930
- JUL 1–13: RCMA’s “Cruisin’ Thru CME” — French Waterways: Highlights of Burgundy & Provence • Call RCMA at (800) 472-6204
- Scripps Whittier Professional Education and Training Programs 2012 • http://www.scripps.org/assets/documents/final_draft_professional_educati...
- Cross Cultural Considerations in End-of-life Care • (Internet activity — expires February 28, 2013) • https://www.cmecalifornia.com/Activity/19735/Detail.aspx
“If I am a fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom.”
— Lord Byron, Scottish Poet (1788–1824)