SDCMS "News You Can Use" (2012.08.15)
SDCMS “News You Can Use”
— August 15, 2012
Please Check Out the Following Medical Updates Under "MEDICAL …" Below:
- Influenza A H3N2v Infection Increase
- New Gonorrhea Treatment and Management Guidelines
- Atypical Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
CEO Comment: Ask yourself what would have happened without organized medicine to keep Anthem Blue Cross from engaging in this type of behavior!!!
Anthem Blue Cross Ordered to Stop Illegal Refund Requests
As a direct result of CMA action, a “cease and desist” order to Anthem Blue Cross has been issued for violating California’s unfair payment practices law (Anthem sought reimbursement from at least 535 providers for claims that were more than one year old).
Doc Talk #5: “Paraphrasing”
Click here (if you’re at your computer) or click here (if you’re on your smartphone or tablet) to watch a 5-minute video on “Paraphrasing.” This is the fifth in SDCMS’ “Doc Talk” series on physician communication. To watch the four previous videos, click here.
SDCMS' "Certified Medical Office Manager" Course Begins September 14 • Click Here for Details!
- Influenza A H3N2v Infection Increase
- Influenza A H3N2v Resources
- New Gonorrhea Treatment and Management Guidelines
- Atypical Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease — Coxsackievirus A6
- CMA Defends the Constitutionality of MICRA
- Anthem Blue Cross Announces Changes to Reimbursement Policies and Claims Software
- Have You Checked Your Medical Board Profile Recently?
- Governor Signs “Medi-Spa” Bill Into Law
- Resident and Fellows Participation Opportunities
- CMA Member Elected President of the Medical Board of California
- Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule for Calendar Year 2013
- IOM Report Recommends Updating Medicare Payment Localities
- GAO Upholds Award of Tricare West Contract to United Healthcare
- Pioneering Health Reform State Enacts Cost Controls
- Honor a Mentor in the November Issue of San Diego Physician!
- Nominate Your Office Manager for "Outstanding Medical Office Manager" Contest!
- Do I Have to Complete Medicare Advantage Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Training?
- Boost Your Referral Marketing by Advertising in San Diego Physician
- Sign up for SDCMS' Online Office Manager Forum!
- Are You Checking SDCMS’ Twitter Feed?
- EHR Vendor Demo Series
- Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
- SDCMS-CMA Seminars / Webinars / Events
- San Diego County Healthcare Events
Influenza A H3N2v Infection Increase (Aug. 10)
From July 12 to August 9, 2012, a total of 153 cases of variant influenza A (H3N2v) virus infection were reported in Indiana, Ohio, Hawaii, and Illinois. Most cases have been in children with mild self-limiting illness similar to seasonal influenza; two cases required hospitalization, and none died. All cases reported direct or indirect exposure to swine, the majority at agricultural fairs. Cases from different states do not appear epidemiologically related.
Influenza A H3N2v Resources:
- Click here for further details from the California Health Alert Network.
- Click here to visit the CDC website.
- Click here to access the August 10 Health Alert from the California Dept. of Public Health.
- Click here to access an influenza A H3N2v fact sheet from the California Dept. of Public Health.
New Gonorrhea Treatment and Management Guidelines
Since December 2010, the CDC has recommended that healthcare providers treat uncomplicated GC infections with dual antibiotic therapy. Click here for further details.
Atypical Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease — Coxsackievirus A6 (CVA6) (Aug. 14)
Since late 2011, at least 36 cases of atypical Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (HFMD) associated with Coxsackievirus A6 (CVA6) have been identified in California. Additional cases have been reported throughout the United States (no deaths). Click here for details, along with access to an Enterovirus Enhanced Surveillance Submittal Form.
CEO Comment: The defense of MICRA never rests!
CMA Defends the Constitutionality of MICRA
On July 9, 2012, CMA, together with the California Hospital Association, California Dental Association, and AMA, filed an amicus curiae brief to support the constitutionality of the MICRA cap on noneconomic damages in the case Hughes v. Pham. This case is currently in the briefing stage before the California Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District. Click here for details.
Anthem Blue Cross Announces Changes to Reimbursement Policies and Claims Software
Anthem Blue Cross has sent physicians a notice advising of upcoming changes to the insurer’s reimbursement policies and claims editing software called ClaimsXten. Most changes will go into effect on December 8, 2012, with a few exceptions that go live on January 1, 2013. Because of these changes, physicians may notice a difference in how certain codes and code pairs are adjudicated. For further details, click here.
Have You Checked Your Medical Board Profile Recently? Click Here
Governor Signs “Medi-Spa” Bill Into Law
Governor Brown has signed into law a bill (AB 1548) that increases penalties for illegally owning and operating a medical spa, a bill CMA supported. Click here for details.
Resident and Fellows Participation Opportunities
If you are a CMA resident or fellow who would be interested in participating at this year’s House of Delegates meeting as a district delegate or alternate please, please email Gehring@SDCMS.org as soon as possible.
The RFS schedule is as follows:
- Friday, Oct. 12, 7pm: Future of Medicine Reception (Optional)
- Saturday, Oct. 13, 6am–8am, 12pm–2pm: RFS Meeting
- Sunday, Oct. 14, 8am–12pm: RFS Meeting
- Monday, Oct. 15, 7am8am: RFS Meeting
CMA Member Elected President of the Medical Board of California
Sharon Levine, MD, has been elected president of the Medical Board of California. For further details, click here.
Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule for Calendar Year 2013: AMA Summary of Key Provisions
IOM Report Recommends Updating Medicare Payment Localities to Improve Payment Accuracy
Adjusting Medicare payments for regional variations in practice costs will ensure payment accuracy, according to a new report by the Institute for Medicine. CMA, which has been working for a decade to convince Congress and CMS to update the payment localities, applauds IOM for these important recommendations and hopes Congress will finally take action on this critical issue. Click here for details.
GAO Upholds Award of Tricare West Contract to United Healthcare
The Government Accountability Office has upheld the Department of Defense decision to award United Healthcare the contract to provide managed-care services to 2.9 million Tricare beneficiaries in 21 Western states, including California. For further details, click here.
Pioneering Health Reform State Enacts Cost Controls
Physicians and hospitals in Massachusetts have concerns about their roles in enabling the measure’s savings target of $200 billion over 15 years. Click here to read further.
Honor a Mentor in the November Issue of San Diego Physician Magazine!
SDCMS will be paying homage to those individuals who, either recently or in decades past, have inspired San Diego County's physicians in ways professional or personal to strive to achieve something beyond themselves. SDCMS members who would like to share their stories about their mentors are encouraged to submit those stories to Editor@SDCMS.org (anywhere from a paragraph to several hundred words) by October 1, 2012.
Nominate Your Office Manager for SDCMS' 4th Annual "Outstanding Medical Office Manager" Contest Today!
SDCMS member physicians can nominate their office manager by explaining in writing (up to 600 words) why their office manager is the best in San Diego County. Send nominations (and questions) to Kyle Lewis at SDCMS at KLewis@SDCMS.org. Nominations deadline is October 31, 2012.
MEMBER BENEFITS …
FAQ: Do I Have to Complete Medicare Advantage Fraud, Waste, and Abuse Training?
Over the past few years, CMA has received sporadic calls from physician practices participating in a Medicare Advantage plan asking whether they need to comply with the CMS requirement to complete fraud, waste, and abuse training. Most of these practices report they were notified by an MA plan that, as a participating provider, CMS requires that they complete the training on an annual basis. Click here for further details.
Boost Your Referral Marketing by Advertising in San Diego Physician Magazine
Special incentives and packages are available for SDCMS member physicians. Email Kyle Lewis — KLewis@SDCMS.org — at SDCMS for details.
Office Manager / Practice Administrator Online Forum!
SDCMS has created a private, invitation-only e-forum for office managers and practice administrators of SDCMS member physicians so that they can help each other and build a community of mutual support. Click Here
Are You Checking SDCMS’ Twitter Feed Daily From Your Browser / Smartphone?
To check SDCMS' latest Twitter feeds, click here. SDCMS does an exceptional job of picking out the most interesting stuff for your daily review — and the worst that happens is you read the headline and ignore it. Also, SDCMS on Facebook. And SDCMS on YouTube.
EHR Vendor Demo Series
Learn how Practice Fusion can help you obtain your EHR Meaningful Use incentives on Wednesday, August 15! Demos start at the top of the hour, running from 1:00pm to 8:00pm, with the last demo starting at 7:00pm, and take place at the Council of Community Clinics, 7535 Metropolitan Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley area). No cost to attend. Lot parking available. Refreshments provided. If you have questions, or to RSVP, call Rob Yeates at (619) 542-4357 or email him at email@example.com. Hosted by CalHIPSO, the SDCMS Foundation, and Community Clinics Health Network.
Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
Primary care practices of 10 or fewer practitioners can receive assistance in EHR implementation (internal medicine, family, adolescent, pediatrics, OB/GYN, or general practice all qualify through ARRA funding). contact Rob Yeates at Rob.Yeates@SDCMS.org or at (858) 300-2791.
SDCMS-CMA SEMINARS / WEBINARS /EVENTS …
For further information or to register for any of the following SDCMS seminars, webinars, or events, visit http://SDCMS.org/event or call SDCMS at (858) 565-8888.
- AUG 16: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 1: Are You Ready? (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 23: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 2: Implementation (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 30: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 3: Understanding Remittance Advice Rules (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 5: A Guide to Reviewing Payor Contracts (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 6: Practice Valuation (SDCMS seminar and webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jul_12_2012_-_1139am/20120906prac...
- SEP 6: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 4: Effective E-billing (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 19: Creating and Implementing Financial and Office Policies (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 20: How To's of Appeals (SDCMS seminar and webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- SEP 14, 21, 28, OCT 5: Certified Medical Office Manager (SDCMS course) • 9:00am–4:00pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jul_12_2012_-_1140am/2012cmom.pdf
SAN DIEGO COUNTY HEALTHCARE EVENTS …
To submit a community healthcare event for possible publication, email KLewis@SDCMS.org. Events should be physician-focused and should take place in or near San Diego County.
- SEP 8: Second Annual “In Concert for Cancer” • Presented by Scripps Health and CJazz, Featuring The Family Stone • 6:00pm • USS Midway Museum • http://www.inconcertforcancer.com
- SEP 19: Hyperglycemia Management Using Insulin Therapy • Bombay Restaurant, Hillcrest, San Diego • 6:00pm • http://scripps.org/conferenceservices
- SEP 29: Advances in Neurological Therapeutics 2012 • Las Vegas, NV • $75 • http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/live/courses/2012/ant12/ANT12%20Broc...
- OCT 10: Hyperglycemia Management Using Insulin Therapy Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Del Mar • 6:00pm • http://scripps.org/conferenceservices
- OCT 13: 5K Run/Walk for Colon Cancer Awareness • NTC Liberty Station • Registration Opens at 7:45am, Run at 9:00am, Walk at 9:05am • http://www.getyourrearingear.com
- OCT 14: CMA / CMA Foundation Gala Save the Date • California Museum, Sacramento • Contact Enid Gallegos [(916) 444-5532, firstname.lastname@example.org] for sponsorship and advertising, Shelley Tirsbeck [(916) 779-6623, email@example.com] for individual or group ticket sales
- OCT 27–28: Sharp Grossmont Hospital Heart and Vascular Conference 2012 • Rancho Bernardo Inn • $150 Before Sept. 30 • https://www.82sharp.sharp.com/Sections.asp?dblink=1&ServLink=77&ClassLin...
- OCT 28 – NOV 1: 13th Annual Science and Clinical Application of Integrative Holistic Medicine • Hilton San Diego Resort • http://www.scripps.org/events/science-and-clinical-application-of-integr...
- FEB 28: Aces for Health Golf Tournament • Del Mar Country Club • Benefitting the SDCMS Foundation's Project Access • (858) 565-7930
- JUL 1–13: RCMA’s “Cruisin’ Thru CME” — French Waterways: Highlights of Burgundy & Provence • Call RCMA at (800) 472-6204
- Scripps Whittier Professional Education and Training Programs 2012 • http://www.scripps.org/assets/documents/final_draft_professional_educati...
- Cross Cultural Considerations in End-of-life Care • (Internet activity — expires February 28, 2013) • https://www.cmecalifornia.com/Activity/19735/Detail.aspx
"Wit is the sudden marriage of ideas which, before their union, were not perceived to have any relation."
— Mark Twain