SDCMS "News You Can Use" (2012.07.17)
SDCMS “News You Can Use”
— July 17, 2012
Blue Shield Recontracting Coming to San Diego
You should see new Blue Shield contracts on July 16, 2012. SDCMS members may click here for amplifying information and a toolkit on evaluating and negotiating complex managed care contracts — contact Kyle Lewis for assistance with logging in to SDCMS’ website at (858) 300-2784 or at KLewis@SDCMS.org.
Doc Talk #4: “The Patient's Perspective”
Click here (if you’re at your computer) or click here (if you’re on your smartphone or tablet) to watch a 5-minute video on “The Patient’s Perspective.” This is the fourth in SDCMS’ “Doc Talk” series on physician communication. To watch the three previous videos, click here.
- Legislature Votes to Eliminate Healthy Families Program
- Court Refuses to Require Physician Supervision of Nurse Anesthetists
- California DMV Updates Disability Placard Forms
- CMA Resident and Fellow Section Assembly Delegates and Alternates at HOD
- On July 6 CMS Posted the Proposed Medicare Physician Payment Rule for 2013
- CMA Releases Synopsis of Supreme Court Health Reform Ruling
- “Medi-Cal Compensation Inadequate, Doctors Say, As Enrollment Boom Looms”
- Boost Your Referral Marketing by Advertising in San Diego Physician Magazine
- Office Manager / Practice Administrator Online Forum!
- Are You Checking SDCMS’ Twitter Feed Daily From Your Browser / Smartphone?
- EHR Vendor Demo Series
- Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
- SDCMS-CMA SEMINARS / WEBINARS /EVENTS
- SAN DIEGO COUNTY HEALTHCARE EVENTS
Legislature Votes to Eliminate Healthy Families Program
California's Legislature — over the objections of many physicians and patient advocates — approved the governor's plan to eliminate the Healthy Families program. Approximately 880,000 Healthy Family children will be forced into the Medi-Cal program. Click here for details.
Court Refuses to Require Physician Supervision of Nurse Anesthetists
The California Supreme Court refused to review a 2009 decision by former Gov. Schwarzenegger to exempt California from federal rules requiring physician supervision of nurse anesthetists in Medicare-participating hospitals. CMA and the California Society of Anesthesiologists challenged Schwarzenegger’s decision in court, believing it was inconsistent with California law, which requires that a physician always retain responsibility and control over the medical care of his or her patient. Click here for details.
California DMV Updates Disability Placard Forms
The California DMV recently issued a revision to the application forms required to issue a disability placard or licenses plate. The DVM is no longer able to accept versions of the Reg. 195 form that were issued prior to June 2010. Revision dates are listed in the lower right-hand corner of the form. Click here for details.
CMA Resident and Fellow Section (RFS) Assembly Delegates and Alternates at HOD
The CMA RFS will be holding its annual meeting in conjunction with the House of Delegates meeting in October. The RFS schedule is as follows:
- Friday, Oct. 12, 7pm: Future of Medicine Reception (Optional)
- Saturday, Oct. 13, 6am–8am, 12pm–2pm: RFS Meeting
- Sunday, Oct. 14, 8am–12pm: RFS Meeting
- Monday, Oct. 15, 7am–8am: RFS Meeting
Participation during the RFS meeting at HOD is a great way to network with fellow residents from across the state and gain valuable leadership experience. If you are a CMA resident or fellow who would be interested in participating at this year’s meeting as a district delegate or alternate please, please email Gehring@SDCMS.org as soon as possible.
On July 6 CMS Posted the Proposed Medicare Physician Payment Rule for 2013
- Pursuant to federal law, CMS projects a 27% reduction in the Medicare FFS payment rate due to the Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) formula unless Congress acts before January 1, 2013, to stop the cut.
- CMS is proposing significant payment increases for primary care. For instance, family medicine would receive a 7% rate increase, internal medicine a 5% rate increase, others 3%. Some specialists would be hit with minor reductions. The largest cut by far is to radiation oncologists at 14%.
- As expected in an election year, CMS did not make any changes to the payment localities. However, CMS spent 100+ pages detailing why they could not make the changes this year, how they intend to continue to study the issue, and that they would be asking for public comments again in the future — very frustrating for those physicians pushing for an update.
- At CMA’s urging, CMS withstood the heavy lobbying from Iowa and the Midwest state medical associations to make changes to the practice expense and work GPCI allocations. Fortunately, there are no significant changes in this area. CMA will communicate further details and analysis shortly.
CMA Releases Synopsis of Supreme Court Health Reform Ruling
Members can click here for a three-page summary — for assistance in logging on to SDCMS' website, contact Kyle Lewis at (858) 300-2784 or at KLewis@SDCMS.org.
“Medi-Cal Compensation Inadequate, Doctors Say, As Enrollment Boom Looms” • Click Here • From the July 12 San Jose Mercury News
MEMBER BENEFITS …
Boost Your Referral Marketing by Advertising in San Diego Physician Magazine
Special incentives and packages are available for SDCMS member physicians. Email Kyle Lewis — KLewis@SDCMS.org — at SDCMS for details.
Office Manager / Practice Administrator Online Forum!
SDCMS has created a private, invitation-only e-forum for office managers and practice administrators of SDCMS member physicians so that they can help each other and build a community of mutual support. Click Here
Are You Checking SDCMS’ Twitter Feed Daily From Your Browser / Smartphone?
To check SDCMS' latest Twitter feeds, click here. SDCMS does an exceptional job of picking out the most interesting stuff for your daily review — and the worst that happens is you read the headline and ignore it. Also, SDCMS on Facebook. And SDCMS on YouTube.
EHR Vendor Demo Series
Learn how these systems can help you obtain your EHR Meaningful Use incentives! All demos start at the top of the hour, running from 1:00pm to 8:00pm, with the last demo starting at 7:00pm. EHR vendor schedule:
- Allscripts: July 25
- e-MDs: August 8
- Practice Fusion: August 15
Demos take place at the Council of Community Clinics, 7535 Metropolitan Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley area). No cost to attend. Lot parking available. Refreshments provided. If you have questions, or to RSVP, call Rob Yeates at (619) 542-4357 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hosted by CalHIPSO, the SDCMS Foundation, and Community Clinics Health Network.
Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
Primary care practices of 10 or fewer practitioners can receive assistance in EHR implementation (internal medicine, family, adolescent, pediatrics, OB/GYN, or general practice all qualify through ARRA funding). contact Rob Yeates at Rob.Yeates@SDCMS.org or at (858) 300-2791.
SDCMS-CMA SEMINARS / WEBINARS /EVENTS …
For further information or to register for any of the following SDCMS seminars, webinars, or events, visit http://SDCMS.org/event or call SDCMS at (858) 565-8888.
- JUL 18: Preparing for a Medicare / Medi-Cal Audit (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 1: Coding for Medical Necessity (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 8: CMA and the Courts / Accessing CMA's Legal Library (CMAwebinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 9: EHR Incentives (SDCMS seminar and webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jul_11_2012_-_1113am/20120809cma.pdf
- AUG 15: Program Integrity in Medicare and Medi-Cal: The Physician's Role (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 16: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 1: Are You Ready? (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 23: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 2: Implementation (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 30: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 3: Understanding Remittance Advice Rules (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 5: A Guide to Reviewing Payor Contracts (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 6: Practice Valuation (SDCMS seminar and webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jul_12_2012_-_1139am/20120906prac...
- SEP 6: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 4: Effective E-billing (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 19: Creating and Implementing Financial and Office Policies (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- SEP 20: How To's of Appeals (SDCMS seminar and webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- SEP 14, 21, 28, OCT 5: Certified Medical Office Manager (SDCMS course) • 9:00am–4:00pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jul_12_2012_-_1140am/2012cmom.pdf
SAN DIEGO COUNTY HEALTHCARE EVENTS …
To submit a community healthcare event for possible publication, email KLewis@SDCMS.org. Events should be physician-focused and should take place in or near San Diego County.
- AUG 11: Movement Disorder Review Course • Sheraton La Jolla • 8:00am–3:45pm • Presented by the University of Kansas Medical Center • $100 • (913) 588-7159, email@example.com
- SEP 19: Hyperglycemia Management Using Insulin Therapy • Bombay Restaurant, Hillcrest, San Diego • 6:00pm • http://scripps.org/conferenceservices
- OCT 10: Hyperglycemia Management Using Insulin Therapy Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Del Mar • 6:00pm • http://scripps.org/conferenceservices
- OCT 14: CMA / CMA Foundation Gala Save the Date • California Museum, Sacramento • Contact Enid Gallegos [(916) 444-5532, firstname.lastname@example.org] for sponsorship and advertising, Shelley Tirsbeck [(916) 779-6623, email@example.com] for individual or group ticket sales
- OCT 27–28: Sharp Grossmont Hospital Heart and Vascular Conference 2012 • Rancho Bernardo Inn • $150 Before Sept. 30 • https://www.82sharp.sharp.com/Sections.asp?dblink=1&ServLink=77&ClassLin...
- OCT 28 – NOV 1: 13th Annual Science and Clinical Application of Integrative Holistic Medicine • Hilton San Diego Resort • http://www.scripps.org/events/science-and-clinical-application-of-integr...
- JUL 1–13, 2013: RCMA’s “Cruisin’ Thru CME” — French Waterways: Highlights of Burgundy & Provence • Call RCMA at (800) 472-6204
- Scripps Whittier Professional Education and Training Programs 2012 • http://www.scripps.org/assets/documents/final_draft_professional_educati...
- Cross Cultural Considerations in End-of-life Care • (Internet activity — expires February 28, 2013) • https://www.cmecalifornia.com/Activity/19735/Detail.aspx
“Prosperity is no just scale; adversity is the only balance to weigh friends.”
— Plutarch (46–120), Greek Historian