SDCMS "News You Can Use" (2012.07.05)
SDCMS "News You Can Use"
— July 5, 2012
Last Chance to Sign up for SDCMS' "Microsoft Outlook for Busy Docs" Workshop • THIS SATURDAY, JULY 7, 8:00AM–11:30AM
This 3.5-hour SDCMS members-only seminar is a must-attend for those busy physicians looking to make Microsoft Outlook their servant and not their master. This will be a very, very practical and user-focused seminar. Physicians will come away from this seminar with a greater understanding of Microsoft Outlook and its versatility as a desktop information manager. As well, you will have a new appreciation for a system that enables you to be more efficient, productive, and in control. Click here here for a registration form or email Gehring@SDCMS.org to register now.
June 29 Message From CMA President: Response to Supreme Court Decision • Click Here
- Doc Talk #3: “The Patient Encounter: Sign Posting”
- Deal to Eliminate Healthy Families Will Disrupt Care for Nearly 1 Million California Children
- State Submits Dual Eligible Plan for Federal Approval
- Dual Eligibles Resources
- State Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave
- Nominate an Outstanding Colleague for the 2012 Gary S. Nye, MD, Award
- MedPAC Recommends Medicare FFS Benefit Changes
- In Case You Missed SDCMS' June 28, 2012, 5-minute Message on the Supreme Court's ACA Ruling
- San Diego County Media Outlets That Turned to SDCMS for Comment on the Supreme Court Decision
- Boost Your Referral Marketing by Advertising in San Diego Physician Magazine
- Office Manager / Practice Administrator Online Forum!
- Check Out CMA's July 2012 CPR: CMA Practice Resources
- Are You Checking SDCMS’ Twitter Feed Daily From Your Browser / Smartphone?
- EHR Vendor Demo Series
- Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
- SDCMS-CMA SEMINARS / WEBINARS / EVENTS
- SAN DIEGO COUNTY HEALTHCARE EVENTS
Doc Talk #3: “The Patient Encounter: Sign Posting”
Click here (if you’re at your computer) or click here (if you’re on your smartphone or tablet) to watch a 5-minute video on “The Patient Encounter: Sign Posting." This is the third in SDCMS’ “Doc Talk” series on physician communication. To watch the first two videos, click here.
Deal to Eliminate Healthy Families Will Disrupt Care for Nearly 1 Million California Children
Governor Brown announced on June 28 that he had reached an agreement with legislators to eliminate the Healthy Families program and shift 900,000 low-income children and teenagers to the Medi-Cal program. The agreement calls for the program to be phased out during 2013. CMA believes the move will have an enormously negative impact on those who rely on the Healthy Families program for healthcare coverage, resulting in mass confusion for families and disruption in care for children. Click here to read more.
State Submits Dual Eligible Plan for Federal Approval
Two years ago, the Legislature gave the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) the authority to do four “pilot projects” to redesign care for Medicare/Medi-Cal dual eligibles. DHCS recently submitted its demonstration proposal to CMS for approval. CMA believes that this can no longer be called a “pilot project” or a “demonstration project” because it includes too much of the target population. CMA will be submitting comments to CMS, urging the federal agency to deny the state’s proposal. For more information, including patient letters and posters for physicians in the affected counties, see CMA’s dual elgible resource page (materials available in English, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese). Click here to read more.
Dual Eligibles Resources
To watch CMA's June 20 Paradise Valley Hospital presentation, "The 'Duals' Dilemma: Physician Input Is Key to Shaping CMA Policy," click here. Member physicians who have difficulty logging in to SDCMS’ website can contact Kyle Lewis (858) 300-2784 or at KLewis@SDCMS.org for assistance.
State Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave
The California Employment Development Department would like to partner with the medical community to better serve patients by making them aware of Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave when the need arises. Click here to read more.
Nominate an Outstanding Colleague for the 2012 Gary S. Nye, MD, Award for Physician Health and Wellbeing
Honors a CMA member physician who has made significant contributions toward improving physician health and wellness. The recipient will be honored in October at the CMA House of Delegates meeting in Sacramento. The deadline to submit nominations is August 10. Click here for nomination information.
MedPAC Recommends Medicare FFS Benefit Changes
The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) is recommending significant changes to Medicare's fee-for-service benefit design, including creating incentives for patients to make better healthcare decisions and protect beneficiaries against high out-of-pocket costs. The recommendations come as part of the commission's annual Medicare report, released on June 15. Click here to read more.
In Case You Missed Our June 28, 2012, 5-minute Message From SDCMS' President and Communications Director on the Supreme Court's ACA Ruling:
The Following San Diego County Media Outlets Turned to SDCMS for Comment on the Supreme Court Decision:
- The San Diego Union-Tribune • Click Here
- The San Diego Union-Tribune Op-ed Page • Click Here
- The North County Times • Click Here
- KUSI Channel 9/51 • KPBS Radio • KFMB-TV Channel 8 • Univision • KGTV Channel 10 • Fox 5
MEMBER BENEFITS …
Boost Your Referral Marketing by Advertising in San Diego Physician Magazine
Special incentives and packages are available for SDCMS member physicians. Email Kyle Lewis — KLewis@SDCMS.org — at SDCMS for details.
Office Manager / Practice Administrator Online Forum!
SDCMS has created a private, invitation-only e-forum for office managers and practice administrators of SDCMS member physicians so that they can help each other and build a community of mutual support. Click Here
Check Out CMA's July 2012 CPR: CMA Practice Resources
- Is your practice receiving the maximum reimbursement allowable under your contracts?
- Ask the Expert: Can I balance bill Medi-Medi patients?
- State submits dual eligible plan for federal approval
- 5010 grace period ended June 30
- Medicare signature requirements for medical records
- And more …
Are You Checking SDCMS’ Twitter Feed Daily From Your Browser / Smartphone?
To check SDCMS' latest Twitter feeds, click here. SDCMS does an exceptional job of picking out the most interesting stuff for your daily review — and the worst that happens is you read the headline and ignore it. Also, SDCMS on Facebook. And SDCMS on YouTube.
EHR Vendor Demo Series
Learn how these systems can help you obtain your EHR Meaningful Use incentives! All demos start at the top of the hour, running from 1:00pm to 8:00pm, with the last demo starting at 7:00pm. EHR vendor schedule:
- Office Practicum: July 11
- Allscripts: July 25
- e-MDs: August 8
- Practice Fusion: August 15
Demos take place at the Council of Community Clinics, 7535 Metropolitan Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley area). No cost to attend. Lot parking available. Refreshments provided. If you have questions, or to RSVP, call Rob Yeates at (619) 542-4357 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hosted by CalHIPSO, the SDCMS Foundation, and Community Clinics Health Network.
Receive EHR Implementation Assistance at No Charge
Primary care practices of 10 or fewer practitioners can receive assistance in EHR implementation (internal medicine, family, adolescent, pediatrics, OB/GYN, or general practice all qualify through ARRA funding). contact Rob Yeates at Rob.Yeates@SDCMS.org or at (858) 300-2791.
SDCMS-CMA SEMINARS / WEBINARS / EVENTS …
For further information or to register for any of the following SDCMS seminars, webinars, or events, visit http://SDCMS.org/event or call SDCMS at (858) 565-8888.
- JUL 7: Microsoft Outlook for Busy Docs (SDCMS workshop) • 8:30am–11:30am • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/apr_18_2012_-_1041am/20120707outl...
- JUL 11: Communicating Adverse Outcomes (SDCMS webinar) • 6:30pm–7:30pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jun_4_2012_-_241pm/2012071112tdc.pdf
- JUL 11: 2012 Legislative Update (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- JUL 12: Communicating Adverse Outcomes (SDCMS webinar) • 11:30am–12:30pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jun_4_2012_-_241pm/2012071112tdc.pdf
- JUL 18: Preparing for a Medicare / Medi-Cal Audit (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 1: Coding for Medical Necessity (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 8: CMA and the Courts / Accessing CMA's Legal Library (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 9: EHR Incentives (SDCMS seminar and webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • http://www.sdcms.org/files/images/node/jun_18_2012_-_918am/20120809cma.pdf
- AUG 15: Program Integrity in Medicare and Medi-Cal: The Physician's Role (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:15pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 16: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 1: Are You Ready? (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 23: Buying, Selling, Leasing Office Space (SDCMS seminar and webinar) • 11:30am–1:00pm • Rhonda.Weckback@SDCMS.org
- AUG 23: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 2: Implementation (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
- AUG 30: California Workers' Compensation E-bill Part 3: Understanding Remittance Advice Rules (CMA webinar) • 12:15pm–1:45pm • http://www.cmanet.org/events/?p=events
SAN DIEGO COUNTY HEALTHCARE EVENTS …
To submit a community healthcare event for possible publication, email KLewis@SDCMS.org. Events should be physician-focused andshould take place in or near San Diego County.
- JUL 9–13 • Hugh Greenway’s 29th Annual Superficial Anatomy & Cutaneous Surgery • 46.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CME • San Diego Marriott Del Mar • Sponsored by the UC San Diego School of Medicine • http://cme.ucsd.edu/superficialanatomy/index.html
- AUG 11: Movement Disorder Review Course • Sheraton La Jolla • 8:00am–3:45pm • Presented by the University of Kansas Medical Center • $100 • (913) 588-7159, email@example.com
- SEP 19: Hyperglycemia Management Using Insulin Therapy • Bombay Restaurant, Hillcrest, San Diego • 6:00pm • http://scripps.org/conferenceservices
- OCT 10: Hyperglycemia Management Using Insulin Therapy Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Del Mar • 6:00pm • http://scripps.org/conferenceservices
- OCT 14: CMA / CMA Foundation Gala Save the Date • California Museum, Sacramento • Contact Enid Gallegos [(916) 444-5532, firstname.lastname@example.org] for sponsorship and advertising, Shelley Tirsbeck [(916) 779-6623, email@example.com] for individual or group ticket sales
- OCT 27–28: Sharp Grossmont Hospital Heart and Vascular Conference 2012 • Rancho Bernardo Inn • $150 Before Sept. 30 • https://www.82sharp.sharp.com/Sections.asp?dblink=1&ServLink=77&ClassLin...
- OCT 28 – NOV 1: 13th Annual Science and Clinical Application of Integrative Holistic Medicine • Hilton San Diego Resort • http://www.scripps.org/events/science-and-clinical-application-of-integr...
- NOV 2: 13th Annual Science and Clinical Application of Integrative Holistic Medicine • Hilton San Diego Resort
- JUL 1–13, 2013: RCMA’s “Cruisin Thru CME” — French Waterways: Highlights of Burgundy & Provence • Call RCMA at (800) 472-6204
- Scripps Whittier Professional Education and Training Programs 2012 • http://www.scripps.org/assets/documents/final_draft_professional_educati...
- Cross Cultural Considerations in End-of-life Care • (Internet activity — expires February 28, 2013) • https://www.cmecalifornia.com/Activity/19735/Detail.aspx
"Dear Madam, I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom. Yours, very sincerely and respectfully."
— Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865)